Canadian Maple Butter Tarts

When I was a kid, my Canadian Grandmother and Aunts always made butter tarts.  Holidays, birthdays, funerals, anytime we were visiting, etc.  At least, that's what I remember.  They were always baking them.  And they were fantastic.

So, I got the urge to make them this Christmas season as part of my quest to learn how to make a decent pie crust.  I landed on a recipe I really like and it is as follows:


Crust

I used my 3-2-1 Pie Crust recipe to make the tart shells.  Once the dough is rolled out very thin, I used a 4" round cookie cutter to cut the tart shells and put them in the muffin tin to be used for baking the tarts.


Filling Ingredients

1/2 cup (125 mL) packed  brown sugar

1/2 cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup (Grade B)

1 egg

2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened

1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla

1 tsp (5 mL) vinegar

1 pinch salt

1/4 cup (60 mL) currants

1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts


Filling Preparation

In bowl, whisk together brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, butter, vanilla, vinegar and salt until blended; set aside. 

On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie crust dough to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Using 4-inch (10 cm) round cookie cutter (or empty 28 oz/796 mL can), cut out 12 circles, rerolling scraps once if necessary. Fit into 2-3/4- x 1-1/4-inch (7 x 3 cm) muffin cups. Divide currants and walnuts among shells. Spoon in filling until three-quarters full. 

Bake in bottom third of 450 F (230 C) oven until filling is puffed and bubbly and pastry is golden, about 12 minutes. Let stand on rack for 1 minute. Run metal spatula around tarts to loosen; carefully slide spatula under tarts and transfer to rack to let cool. 


Eating

These butter tarts pair nicely with a fine Calvados!


1 Response to "Canadian Maple Butter Tarts"

  1. Mandopicker855 3:02 PM
    Ah this stimulates some memories. We often got Butter Tarts in Echo Bay enroute to St Josephs Island where my grandmother's brother Argyle Ross worked a small farm. Shearing sheep, milking cows, slopping pigs, bailing/storing hay, and eating very greasy lamb come to mind. Thx, Scott. Ed K